On June 28th 2010, IPRT hosted an Open Forum event 'Exploding Prisoner Numbers - Causes, Effects and Solutions.'
The event brought together key experts to explore the factors driving the continuing rise in prison numbers in Ireland, and sought to identify practical solutions.
[Photo: (L-R) Tom O'Malley; Assistant Commissioner Louis Harkin; Judge Michael Reilly; Liam Herrick; Dr Mary Rogan; Vivian Geiran.]
Speakers at the event were:
- Inspector of Prisons, Judge Michael Reilly (Chair)
- Tom O'Malley, Senior Lecturer, NUI Galway
- Vivian Geiran, Deputy Director, The Probation Service
- Louis Harkin, Assistant Commissioner, An Garda Síochána
- Dr Mary Rogan, Chairperson of IPRT
The panellist also responded to questions from the floor which came from, among others: Senator Ivana Bacik; John Clinton, the Irish Prison Officers Association; Paul Mackay, former member of the Mountjoy Prison Visiting Committee; and Tina Roche, Chief Executive, Business in the Community Ireland.