The Inspector of Prisons, Judge Reilly, has published the 'Women Prisoners' Supplement' to the Standards for the Inspection of Prisons in Ireland. The document outlines the particular obligations to women prisoners emanating from international obligations, domestic laws and best practice.
Key points include:
- Recommendations around security level assessments of women prisoners.
- The provision of services for the particular needs of women prisoners who have suffered physical, mental or sexual abuse.
- Emphasis on the best interests of the child with relation to prisoners' children.
- The need for child protection policies and equivalence of care for children in prison.
- Recommendation that non-resident foreign national women prisoners are transferred at the earliest opportunity to their home country (particularly those who have minor children in their home country)
- Need for pre-release supports
Download the Standards for the Inspection of Prisons in Ireland - Women Prisoners’ Supplement here.