IPRT launched a new comprehensive report on the rights and needs of children and families of people in prison on 19th November 2012. "Picking Up the Pieces": The Rights and Needs of Children and Families Affected by Imprisonment was the culmination of six months' research, including consultations with families and children of prisoners, along with service providers and agencies.
The report can be downloaded here.
The report received a lot of positive media attention. A roundup of media highlights is included below:
- RTÉ, Today with Pat Kenny (Mon, 19 Nov): Report on children and families of prisoners
- Today FM News (interview): Penal Reform Trust says prison visits not child friendly
- RTÉ, Today with Pat Kenny (Thurs, 22 Nov): Prison visits - interviews with families (starts 1hr24min)
- RTÉ, Nuacht: Report on children and families of prisoners
- RTÉ Six One (30-sec item): Report on children and families of prisoners
- Irish Independent online (video): New research report on children and families of prisoners
- RTÉ News: Prison visits are not child friendly, according to IPRT report
- thejournal.ie: Report asks for more supports for children with parents in prison
- Evening Echo: Group calls for more support for families of prisoners
- The Irish Times: Invisible victims of prison system
- The Irish Times: Welfare of prisoners' children addressed in report
- Irish Examiner: Screened visits should be scrapped, says report