'Mental Health on Trial'
Supported by the Mary Raftery Journalism Fund, The Irish Times investigates how people with mental illness come into contact with the criminal justice system, tracing the cycle of criminalisation and undiagnosed mental health problems. The series also looked at the impact of solitary confinement on prisoners' mental health, and failings in post-release supports. An excellent and important series.
Visit The Irish Times 'The Prison Trap' series website here: mentalhealthontrial.com
- The Irish Times: ‘Systematic discrimination’ against people with mental illness in justice system (Sat 14th Sept)
- The Irish Times: Mental illness is not a crime. So why are so many people with psychiatric problems in our jails? (Weekend, Sat 14th Sept)
- The Irish Times: Suicide rate in prisons declines (Mon 16th Sept)
- The Irish Times: The Prison Trap: mental strains of solitary confinement (Mon 16th Sept)
- The Irish Times: Hard to balance need for justice with treatment (Tues 17th Sept)
- The Irish Times: Dermot Rooney left prison.... days later he was dead (Tues 17th Sept)