The Irish Prison Services Statistics Unit recently published its quarterly Census of Restricted Prisoners in the Irish Penal system. The Census indicates a slight reduction in the number of prisoners on restricted regimes since the last quarter.
The key findings were:
- In total 253 prisoners in the entire prison population were on a restricted regime;
- Of the 232 prisoners on protection, 224 were there of their own request;
- 14 prisoners were restricted on grounds of order;
- 5 prisoners were restricted due to discipline;
- Since the commencement of the Census in July 2013, the number of prisoners on 22/23 hour lock up has decreased 80% from 211 to 42.
Read the full findings here: wym-1409588416831