IPRT launched a new report Turnaround Youth: Young Adults (18-24) in the Criminal Justice System ~ the case for a distinct approach in the Irish Film Institute, Dublin on 12th May 2015.
Find out more about the event here.
The report presents the case for the differential treatment of young adults aged 18-24 who come in contact with the criminal justice system, and is grounded in emerging evidence, best practice, and informed by input from young people with experience of the issues. In the words of the Irish Examiner editorial: "These suggestions make complete sense and even if they help only a tiny minority of young offenders recover some equilibrium in their lives then they are worthwhile."
Download the report here.
The Irish Times cited speaker Ciara Egan (16) of Future Voices Ireland, who called for an end to the “stigmatisation of young people from marginalised backgrounds” in her powerful address during the launch: "You can’t assume everyone that commits a crime is a bad person. Sometimes we’re just a product of the inequalities that we face.”
Read the IPRT Press Release here.
Both the report and the launch event received strong media coverage, with some in-depth discussion and debate. Read and listen back to media coverage of the issues below.
- RTÉ Morning Ireland: Prison population's disproportionately young (12th May 2015)
- 98FM News: Young Adults In Jail More Likely To Reoffend (12th May 2015)
- Today FM 'The Last Word': Jen Garcin, Deirdre Malone spoke to Matt Cooper (12th May 2015; last item in prog)
- KFM 'Kildare today': Deirdre Malone talks to Shane Beatty about the Turnaround youth report (14th May 2015)
- Irish Examiner (front page): 25% of prisoners are aged 18-24 — and 68% reoffend (12th May 2015)
- Irish Examiner (editorial): A second chance (12th May 2015)
- Breaking News: Prison system 'failing young adults' (12th May 2015)
- The Irish Times: Irish Penal Reform Trust urges support for young adult offenders (13th May 2015)
- Irish Examiner:Young offenders head to US on project (13th May 2015)