Following a serious incident which took place at Cloverhill Prison on Wed 29 July 2015, IPRT was invited by media to comment. IPRT called for an independent, effective and prompt investigation by the Inspector of Prisons to take place alongside the internal investigation by the Irish Prison Service and the criminal investigation by An Garda Síochána. Robust accountability mechanisms play a crucial preventative role in any prison system.
- IPRT: statement
- Irish Times: Prisoners returned to cells following Cloverhill protest (30 July 2015)
- Irish Independent: We lacked specialist dogs to defuse riot, say prison officers at Cloverhill (31 July 2015)
- Irish Examiner: Afghan youth ‘traumatised’ by jail attack (31 July 2015)
- RTÉ News at One: Two investigations after Cloverhill Prison clashes: The Irish Penal Reform Trust has called for an independent inquiry (30 July 2015)
- Today FM: 'The last Word' (30 July 2015, item starts 7mins 30secs)
- RTÉ Six One News: IPRT calls for independent investigation into incident at Cloverhill prison (30 July 2015)