In developing the Strategic Plan 2017-2021, IPRT consulted with key stakeholders during 2015 and 2016. We did this with the dual objectives of reflecting on lessons learned and identifying key priorities for the future.
All of our activities are informed by the Vision, Mission and Values of the Organisation.
IPRT’s three strategic goals for 2017–2021 are:
- Advocate for a national penal policy that is: just and humane, promotes effective non-custodial responses to crime, and uses prison as a last resort.
- Promote a penal system that is: humane as experienced by people who are detained, protects and promotes human rights and equality, and strives to achieve international best practice in formal regimes, daily practices and overall culture.
- Ensure IPRT is a sustainable, well-resourced, respected and collaborative stakeholder in penal policy in Ireland.
IPRT has identified the following as the five most effective tools for bringing about the long-term goals we wish to achieve:
- The production of high quality research.
- The creation of evidence-informed policy solutions.
- Advocacy and campaigning at all levels.
- Public communication and awareness raising.
- Building alliances and capacities.
The full IPRT Strategic Plan 2017-2021 can be downloaded here.
IPRT’s Strategic Goals 2017-2021 can be downloaded here.