Ireland’s second examination under the UN Convention against Torture takes place on 27th and 28th July 2017. IPRT made a Submission in advance to the United Nations Committee against Torture (UNCAT), and IPRT will be bringing a number of serious concerns to the attention of the Committee in Geneva.
Read the full submission here.
IPRT also produced a briefing containing recommendations and additional information, which can be read here.
- Newstalk, Séan Moncrieff Show: 'No help behind bars: treating mentally ill prisoners', Tuesday 25th July 2017 here.
- The Irish Examiner: UN body told of failings in the oversight of Irish prisons
- The Times UK: Mental Health Prisoners kept in Solitary (Registration required to read the full article)
- BreakingNews.ie: UN hearing to examine lack of mental health services in Irish prisons
- The Irish Times: Treatment in Garda custody raised at UN
- Waterford News and Star: UN hearing to examine lack of mental health services in Irish prisons