The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) has published a factsheet on detention conditions and treatment of prisoners outlines findings of inhuman and/or degrading treatment of prisoners.
Issues covered in the fact sheet include:
- (Hygienic) condition of cells
- Ill-treatment by cellmates
- (Allegations of) Ill-treatment by prison officers
- Juveniles in detention
- Personal space in multi-occupancy cell and prison overcrowding
- Repeated transfers
- Security of detainees during transfers
- Solitary confinement
- Strip searches of prisoners
- Video surveillance of a cell
Under each of these issues, the factsheet points to related rulings in recent cases as guidance.
Read the ECtHR factsheet on ‘Detention conditions and treatment of prisoners’ here.
Further ECtHR factsheets on detention issues are available here.