Census of Restricted Regime Prisoners July 2016
31st July 2016
The Irish Prison Service Statistics Office has recently published its quarterly census of Restricted Prisoners in the Irish prison system. The result of the July 2016 survey shows that the number of prisoners on restricted regimes has increased by 34 in the overall figure compared to April 2016.
Key facts and figures from the report:
- There has been an increase of prisoners on restricted regimes from 368 (April 2016) to 402 (July 2016), an increase of 9.2%;
- 348 (9%) of the total prison population of 3,788 were on protection (Rule 63), of which 344 were there of their own request;
- 402 prisoners in total were subject to a restricted regime;
- Of the 997 prisoners classified as protection prisoners only 348 had regime restricted;
- 28 prisoners were restricted on grounds of order;
- 3 prisoners were restricted as a disciplinary measure.
Read the full findings of the census here.