Census of Restricted Regime Prisoners October 2016
28th October 2016
The Irish Prison Service Statistics Office has recently
published its quarterly census of Restricted Regime Prisoners in the Irish prison
system. The result of the October 2016 survey shows that the number of
prisoners on restricted regimes has increased by 22 in the overall figure
compared to July 2016.
Key facts and figures from the report:
- There has been an increase of prisoners on restricted
regimes from 402 (July 2016) to 424 (October 2016), an increase of 5.5 %;
- 378 (10.3%) of the total prison population of 3,667
were on protection (Rule 63), of which 367 were there of their own request;
- 424 prisoners in total were subject to a restricted regime;
- Of the 1,002 prisoners classified as protection prisoners
only 378 had regime restricted;
- 31 prisoners were restricted on grounds of order;
- There were no prisoners on a restricted regime as a disciplinary measure.
Read the full findings of the census here.